Take Action on Bell Let’s Talk Day and All Year Long!
Today is Bell Let’s Talk Day. Since 2011, Canadians and people around the globe have joined in the world’s largest conversation around mental health on this day. Together, we have taken big steps to reduce the stigma around mental health issues, inspire one another to take action, and help create a Canada where everyone can access the mental health support they need. But it is clear more needs to be done.
The pandemic was a very challenging time for many children, youth and families in our community. As we begin to emerge from those difficult times, it is more important than ever that we know where to turn for help when we need it.
Mental Health in Canada and Peel Region
Mental health issues and substance use disorders will affect one in three Canadians in their lifetime.
· More than 200 Canadians will attempt suicide every day; twelve will die
· 1 in 2 people struggling in this country are not getting the help they need
· One in four Canadians have been experiencing high levels of anxiety
· The number of opioid overdose deaths in Canada went up more than 90% during the pandemic. It’s now 20 per day.
· 1 in 5 young people aged 0 to 25 residing in Peel are struggling with their mental health, that is 90,267 young people who need help in our community
The new 2023 Bell Let’s Talk awareness campaign ‘Let’s Change This‘ highlights the mental health crisis Canadians are facing in very real and personal ways and issues a collective call to action and change. Our CEO Ceri Harnden has some tips on how you can answer this call.
Here is an overview of EveryMind’s services that are available to children, youth, and families in Peel:
- Access mental health services for children, youth and families in Peel by visiting wheretostart.ca or calling 905-451-4655.
- Tangerine Walk-In Counselling provides 45-minute in-person, phone or video sessions Monday through Friday. Visit tangerinewalkin.com or call 905-795-3530 to request an appointment.
- For 24/7 Crisis Support, call 905-278-9036 any time of the day or night.
All of these services are free and confidential for residents of Peel, and support from Bell Let’s Talk helps make them possible.
Take action on Bell Let’s Talk Day and all year long!
This year’s Bell Let’s Talk Day campaign highlights ways we can all create meaningful change and take action.
Share your actions using #BellLetsTalk and help inspire others to join the movement to create positive change.
This year, Bell has committed an additional $10 million for mental health programs. This new funding is more than Bell has ever committed on Bell Let’s Talk Day and will replace the donation of 5 cents per interaction that they have made in previous years on the day, putting more emphasis on practical actions that we can all take throughout the year.
EveryMind is grateful to Bell Let’s Talk for their support through the years. They have donated $120,000 to our organization since 2014 and Bell has also been the presenting sponsor for our annual Evening of Hope Gala since 2016. This generosity has supported the intake and access services we provide through wheretostart.ca and our counselling services for both youth and young adults. Last year, Bell’s contributions helped us help over 5000 unique clients and provide nearly 8000 services. These are all very impressive numbers but the reality is much more is needed because so many more are in need. Together, Let’s Change This!
EveryMind needs your help today. Help us make sure no one struggles alone.
Click here to donate now and help children, youth and families in Peel